Unless We Support Israel,
Won't God Squash Us?
Randy Sweatt

From: "Randy Sweatt"
To: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Sent: September 20, 2001 4:57 AM
Subject: Zionism

Cliff,

I just finished watching a local minister on TV (sorry, it's a hobby) give an explanation as to why he believes our country suffered this tragedy last week. He began with the rise of Zionism back in the late 1800's, and showing how the US and the British were so bent on helping the Jews claim a homeland in Palestine, at the extreme expense of kicking out thousands of Arabs, even suggesting that all the Arabs in Palestine be relocated to Iraq.

When I was a good Baptist, I remember being taught that if the US ever withdrew it's support for Israel, we would suffer the wrath of God. Personally, I would take locusts and frogs over plane crashes any day.

Randy

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Randy Sweatt"
Subject: Re: Zionism
Date: September 20, 2001 4:40 AM

This type of explanation, the attempt to rescue God's reputation in the face of disaster, is known as a theodicy. We are trying to collect as many theodicies as we can to show, at minimum, that theism has nothing on atheism when it comes to explaining these events.

I don't have the paperwork on this one, but I heard that the withdrawing support curse is not a biblical prediction, and not a prediction at all. When we used to recite this statement, it was an observation (not a prediction) made by Edward Gibbon in his 1776 work, The History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Thus, it went something like, "no nation which has come up against the nation of Israel has survived" or something to that effect -- an observation by Gibbon, not a prediction or threat in the Bible.

If I am correct about this, then it falls in the same category as the question, "Where does the Bible teach that 'God helps those who help themselves'?"

The answer? Benjamin Franklin said that, it's not in the Bible.

The same holds for this popular "Israel" bit, I'm afraid: Edward Gibbon wrote that, it's not in the Bible.