From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "David"
Subject: Re: positive_atheism_letters_section
Date: September 24, 2001 7:45 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I have been listening to the mixed message that we've been getting from the bin Laden camp. Much of what they're telling us they don't like is secularism, not Christianity. They tend to say that they'd prefer it if America were a Christian nation; at least that would do for them in lieu of America becoming an Islamic nation.

So, using that logic, it would be the Christian soldiers who are fighting to defend our right to be secular and nonreligious.

Remember, we are not fighting against Islam or defending Christianity or secularism, we are trying to rout out a network of terrorists before they do us in. (I hate to think of humans this way, but did you see the footage of that plane crashing into the second tower? Can you imagine hijacking a plane full of passengers and turning it into a bomb?) I'm not in favor of flattening Afghanistan, but I think we owe it to ourselves and to the world to try to protect ourselves and the rest of the world. At least the majority of the nations appear to be with us on this one even if they'd disagree with flattening Afghanistan, and I expect a world-level effort at helping us at least rout the networks of terrorists. I will be satisfied if that's all they end up doing.

However, if secularism is the problem, then why did they not go after The Netherlands or Sweden? This is why I point out that what we're hearing from them is definitely a mixed message. In any event, I don't think America's Christianity has much to do with what's going on -- only with the nature of our President's probable response to it.

I'm not sure what the answer is, but the footage coming from Manhattan leads me to suspect that the old policies are not working, so I guess it's time to get tough and play the cop. Again.

When we're done with this, hopefully we'll have plenty of time to deal with how Bush's religiosity during all this (and before) has harmed the American people as well as impaired his quest for national unity.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Date: September 24, 2001 11:08 PM

Since I sent you that last response, I went to the store and notice from the front page that bin Laden is now using "the flag of the Cross" in his rhetoric. So I guess I was right about his message being mixed: we cannot even trust their complaints!

Even then, we are not a Christian nation and we are not the most secular nation, either. I think the fact that we are the nation who historically set in motion the concept of government based upon human Liberty, based upon the notion that humans are capable of governing themselves. I think this is probably the biggest symbolic point they're trying to make. But much of this has to do with the fact that their countries have been so thoroughly crippled by the Cold War that they really have nothing else to lose, so they feel they might as well take us down with them.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "David"
Date: September 25, 2001 6:56 PM

One final thought: If anything, our policy supporting Israel is a sore spot with all Muslims, so if you're fighting to defend any religion, you're fighting for Zionism. I don't know what you're going to do with that.

Much of the so-called archaeology allegedly supporting the historicity of the Hebrew Scriptures is coming via that government, knowing that American Evangelicals, due to a superstition that's thoroughly depicted in Tim LaHaye's popular Left Behind series of Fundamentalist Christian pulp novels, will not allow anybody to lay a hand on our current Israel policy. The more of this they feed the American Evangelicals, the more solid this support will be. This "archaeology" also supports the nation's only claim to existence, because if Abraham and Isaac and Moses and Joshua were fiction, then the nation has no moral claim to existence, and they are there by military force only. Naturally the Israeli government will support any claim along these lines, and the American Christians love it because it gives their religion an air of credibility.

I hate to say it, but I think that's a big part of the friction going on, though not all of it. We do have our forces in Saudi (don't ask me why), and that's surely another sore point -- up there with our support for Israel (and, unlike our Israeli policy, I haven't heard even a marginal defense for our Saudi policy). We also use up resources, etc., and are hated, if nothing else, for our sense of security (which has just been shattered), which none of the rest of the world has -- particularly the Middle East. They get it every day; we got ours all at once.