We Are, I Dare Say,
Better Than That
Eyal Porat

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine"
To: "Eyal Porat"
Subject: Re: Attack on America
Date: September 14, 2001 6:35 PM

We hear a lot speculation about how violence on television affects people who watch it, especially our youngsters. Some "experts" tell us that if a child watches people being killed on television programs day after day, the child will become numb to the violence. For them, these "experts" tell us, it all becomes a big cartoon. So perhaps watching the footage of the tower being hit helped to desensitize some of us a bit.

I am not saying that we should not feel -- we should all feel this pain.

However, some of us are much more sensitive to things like this than others, and a catastrophe such as this renders a few of us completely unable to function. I know, because I was one of those people: I reacted so severely to this that I needed medical attention. Some who made it through this time around might have problems next time, so we need to establish ways for the particularly sensitive people to be able to cope.

Having been religious and having been through crisis situations during the religious years, I can tell you that religion is not enough for many of us. During those years, the police raided the place where I worked because one of my coworkers was fencing stolen property. I'd say that I took that situation much worse than I did this one, simply because my religious beliefs prevented me from getting help from anywhere except "God." This is why I don't think the push to get everybody to go to Church will help much.

We need to establish methods and implement them, make them available, so that those of us who saw the warning signs this time can try to be ready should the future become even darker than many of us fear. This may not be the last we will have heard from terrorists. I hope that the Israelis and the Irish and others who have had to endure this can help the rest of us learn to cope with this terrible feeling.