Against Religion Itself
Or Just Fundamentalism?
Carey Sherrill

My main message is not anti-religion, but anti-fundamentalism.

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Carey Sherrill"
Subject: Re: Did I say One More?
Date: September 18, 2001 6:31 PM

The "a" in atheism stands for "without," thus a-theism means "without theism." This sounds awkward because of repeated use of the other meaning, but compare this with other uses of the prefix "a-."

I am not for trying to abolish religion. It certainly is not for me, to be sure; but I fully accept that others want it and need it and think it's both true and right. I also notice that most expressions of religion are not dangerous either for the practitioners or others (just as most alcohol use and illegal drug use is not dangerous; that is, most inebriation harms neither the users nor those around them).

So, if you asked whether I am anti-religion or anti-fundamentalism, given the choice I would say I am anti-fundamentalism: I think fundamentalism is a legitimate target of my activism and would be a legitimate target of my "outreach" (if I were doing "outreach" work). Religion itself would not be a legitimate target of either.