From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Ross Wells"
Subject: Re: Special Word of Thanks; September Print Edition Begins
Date: September 29, 2001 8:36 PM

We don't have to express ourselves literately, we just need to be counted.

The only time literacy really counts is if part of your argument involves how well-educated you are. This is why I usually take poorly written letters from people claiming to be so educated and post them as is.

Other than that, it's like that mid-'70s Funk song from War, called "Why Can't We Be Friends?"

Some times I don't -- speak right
But yet I know what I'm talking about

In any event, practice makes perfect.

Well, not necessarily perfect, but if you practice your lines, you can call in and deliver them quickly and people will be able to understand what you are saying. If you know what the host is going to say in objection, you can create and practice your responses for those as well.

Anybody who knows how to talk fluently, like on a talk show, has practiced like this. If what you think will help is to call the talk shows and relay some of the points that people make on the PAM Forum, then get your friends together and practice, practice, practice. In lieu of friends, you can use a tape recorder. I know, because I have a slight speech problem myself. I speak as well as I do speak because I spent dozens of hours in front of a tape recorder when I was younger. Today I sing, and this helps me to be able to read a script as well as anybody can.

Finally, you can always write to us and we'll fix your letter up just fine. Any newspaper worthy of journalism fixes up the letters of their readers before printing them (except, as I mentioned above, some of the arrogant braggarts who are trying to come off as highly educated -- which you're not doing and I don't see you doing). All you gotta do is ask and we'll fix it up for you.