From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Hector Lopez"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: October 23, 2001 12:07 AM

I'm with you. They're not government, but we can respond to them and to their sponsors and to the teams. We can write to the sports pages (and we don't have to be fans to do that). Can you let your sense of patriotism override your love of the sport? This will be a tough one for some, to be sure.

Short Graphic Rule

Short Graphic Rule

Here is the address of Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig:

Bud Selig
Office of the Commissioner of Baseball
245 Park Avenue
New York, New York 10167

(888) 281-1778 (shop)

Bud Selig grieves

Bud Selig grieves

Short Graphic Rule

I'm not a baseball fan, per se, but am what I call a Cubs Fan fan: I am a fan of Cubs Fans. They're the greatest fans I've ever seen anywhere. Just look at what they got to root for and just look at how loyal they are anyway! Can you beat that? No-o-o-o! So I got my yCubbies' hat and I wear it to keep the sunshine out of my eyes and I wear it to keep the rain and snow off my face.

The reason this means anything to me is because I grew up in San Diego, where the teams only ever had fans on two days: First, they usually had fans when they were winning -- unless they were winning by three or four games' worth of points: fans would then settle their bets at half-time and go to the beach. Secondly, they had fans when it was raining (which, in San Diego [rather, Insane Diego], was not very often).

This caused me to reject sports as phony at a very young age. But later I kept meeting Cubs fans, and realized that had I grown up in a place such as Chicago, I would probably be an avid sports fan today. Instead, I got very heavily into music and certainly do not regret that decision.

Short Graphic Rule

Anyways, I have put this question up to the inner sanctum of separationists in America: Exploiting Baseball!? This is definitely the secular equivalent of blasphemy!