From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Leach, Nicholas P."
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: November 05, 2001 7:30 AM

I don't know what John Hick's "eschatological verification" is. The Christian claim is clearly and patently false, and I don't know how one could change that and it still be the Christian claim.

I suppose that if I end up in the Christian Hell for not believing what on the surface appears very much to be the Christian Yarn, then the Christian claim will have turned out to have been true. The creator of the Universe will have turned out to have been Satan Himself -- but then the Christian Yarn would not be true even if this were the case! I would simply be punished for refusing to believe what is clearly a lie!

I have stated that the biblical errors which I (and others) have documented would have to be dealt with -- all of them -- and the logical absurdities in the very nature of this alleged godhead would need to be addressed. Is it possible for the Universe to be six thousand years old? No. As it stands, I have no clue as to what they're even talking about when they use the three-letter word God. Why they would expect us to believe that an impossible being exists is beyond me -- except that it only shows the Christian myth to be just that: a myth, written by illiterate goat-herders for the purpose of rallying the lower, less-intelligent classes into a large political force and making the individual Christians willing to die and make all manner of personal sacrifice for the sake of that political-ecclesiastical alliance known as Christendom.

It would be nice if we could also go back in time and show that the Christian claim that Christian faith makes people moral had panned out to have been true, thereby undoing such historical atrocities as the subjugation of women, Human Slavery, the Holy Inquisition, the Witch Hunts, Imperialism, the burnings of the heretics, genocide in the Americas and elsewhere, and the Holocaust. If you could make it so that the Christians never did any of these things in the name of Christ, you'd probably have a deal. But as it stands, most Christians I've met simply deny that this happened, or, at most, claim that those who did this weren't "real" Christians. I don't think a figure as powerful as they claim their god to be could afford for these things to have happened if His goal were for me and people like me to believe that He exists. But they happened nonetheless, which points very strongly toward His nonexistence.

But most of all, though, they would have to undo Christendom's loathing for humanity, particularly her loathing for human learning, starting with the very earliest of times when Christianity wooed only the uneducated lower classes and ending with today's revisionism of such institutions of knowledge as American history and the science of biology.

Can you show the biblical Christ figure ever having been portrayed as laughing? No, you can't. The Christ figure never laughs in any of the "official" (Scriptural) descriptions of him. They say he did all things that men did except sin. Perhaps it's a "sin" to laugh. If so, then Christianity cannot be anything but a false religion. If it is not a sin to laugh, then the God of Forethought forgot the one human trait that would get all men to relate to Him: laughter. Christ not only is not God, without laughter, Christ is not human, either.

And I won't even get into the discussion of how death is the only thing that allows us to even exist, from an evolutionary perspective. Death is not simply inevitable, the best that "we" could come up with; without death, there would be no us: we could not have life, we could never have evolved to the point of where we could appreciate life. Christianity can only glom the question of death: I find much more glory and dignity with the truth than I ever could with a comfortable myth that would go so far as to slander the very basis of life itself. Why would I even want Christianity to be true? What we have is much more glorious than Christianity could even imagine!

P.O. Box 16811
Portland, OR 97292
http://www.PositiveAtheism.org/
editor@positiveatheism.org

"My conclusion is that there is no reason to
     believe any of the dogmas of traditional
     theology and, further, that there is no
     reason to wish that they were true. Man,
     in so far as he is not subject to natural
     forces, is free to work out his own destiny.
     The responsibility is his, and so is the
     opportunity."
             -- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970),
                    "Is There a God?" (1952)

"The legitimate powers of government extend
     to such acts only as are injurious to others."
             -- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)
                    "Statute for Religious Freedom"

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
     a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
        nor safety."
                -- Benjamin Franklin (1706-1790)
                    "Historical Review of Pennsylvania"