To Disagree With Cliff:
The Downfall Of Humanity
Eric

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Eric"
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: November 18, 2001 1:59 AM

-- and --

I am sorry that my inability to communicate clearly has left you with such a strikingly flawed understanding of what I do here. I've had many people misjudge my motives in this respect over the years, particularly those who do not actually read anything in the website but rather simply click the "webmaster" link on the front page (even though, to a man, each claims to have read large sections of the web site). But never has anybody taken their erroneous assumptions to such an extreme as you have.

Oh, well, one thing I do know how to do is let people make their own mistakes. I am not here to give anybody an education; rather, I enjoy the sport of a philosophical and ideological sparring match. Anybody who would like to step into the ring for a few rounds need only to follow the posted game-rules and I'm happy to give them a run for -- no money, even, if that's what they want! Fortunately for everybody, it's not my burden to "set anybody straight" in that regards -- particularly when it comes to what I'm doing.

I'm glad that the vast majority of those who write to me appear to at least be in the right ballpark as far as their speculations about my motives are concerned, because if everybody who wrote to me were as far off base as you appear to be (particularly if they were as self-confident regarding what's taking place within the privacy of my own mind), I'd have stopped doing this a long time ago. If I even got one letter each month that was as far off base as yours is, I'd be forced to consider that my inability to communicate might therefore strongly suggest that I go do something else with my time and energy.

Fortunately, though, even those who are hostile to my stated ideological position tend, for the most part, to at least be able to see my motives for what they are. I suspect that most of the regulars had a good chuckle over your assessment of me, seeing as how my motives are fairly transparent and thus easy to detect. Being pretty much of a Gandhian, I really have very little to hide, so there is really no point in trying to build up some mysterious "Cliff" who lives behind what you see here.

Thus, I am not concerned in the least that you might have something going for yourself. I fully intend to continue the game that I'm playing here for as long as I can handle it and for as long as my interest in doing it holds out. Good luck in finding someone who might become intimidated by this little game. If this is what you seek, I wish you the best in finding such people.