You Pips Little Obsession
With Anti-Christian Ideas
Jason Seiler

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Jason Seiler"
Subject: Re: My Conclusion
Date: October 04, 2001 3:11 AM

1. Why would we have anything to say about the Ten Commandments were it not for the fact that Christians are constantly trying to have these grotesquely poor excuses for morality posted in our public schools!? All we want in this entire discussion is to be able to prevent our children from being exposed to this extremely poor example of moral guidance.

Now, who is jamming what down whose throat?

2. Why is trying to protect our children from the stark immorality of the Hebrew Decalogue seen as an obsession (twice)? Why not, rather, just obey the law and keep your religion out of public and government life?

3. Why do you resort to name-calling? Could it be that you have no valid point to make, so all you have left is to call your ideological opponents "little pips" and then lie about us by calling us "anti-Christian." Why, you even went so far as to enclose the word article in quotation marks, thereby calling it something less than an article!

If you had a case at all, would you need to go that far? No, you wouldn't. Not if you had a case for yourself. But the Fundamentalist Christians (and the Twelve Steppers) stand out amongst all those who write to us as being most willing to resort to such dishonest tactics, and it becomes clear, whenever you do this, that you really have nothing to say for yourselves -- so you hurl abuse upon those of us who would dare try to protect ourselves and our children from your abuse and your dishonesty.

4. We do not single you out: you Fundamentalist Christians single yourselves out. You do this by constantly sending us patently dishonest, unfair, and gratuitously abusive messages such as the one you just sent.

Don't you have a life of your own? Must you seek out web sites erected for the benefit of atheists and waste our volunteers' time by sending us dishonest and abusive e-mails? Would you fault me for using your letter as an example of why one does well by not becoming a Christian? why superior morality is available through almost any system of ethics other than the Christian religion? Does your e-mail not make an air-tight case against allowing our children to be exposed to the Hebrew Ten Commandments?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Jason Seiler"
Date: October 04, 2001 5:22 AM

"In God We Trust" was placed on our currency during the McCarthy Era of the 1950s. It had been on a few low-denomination coins before then, but never regularly. Franklin, Adams, and Jefferson made our motto E Pluribus Unum, "Of the many, one" or, in today's vernacular, "Out of diversity comes unity." As Soviet Cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin said while in orbit, "I don't see any God up here!"

Why do you folks keep insisting on using that one in trying to make your case that this is a Christian country? Is that the best you can do? the 1950s?

Yes, it is the best you can do: You lie and to use derogatory language toward your ideological opponents because you really don't have a case.

Why don't you get yourself an education and figure out that America's love affair with the Christian religion is very recent, dating back to the days of "Leave It To Beaver" and "I Love Lucy"? Before then, the South was not the Bible Belt but was a Mecca of Freethought and Deism.

Once more, please go bother somebody else with your shenanigans: this is a serious forum that discusses serious issues in truthfulness, not an online service chat line where people are encouraged to argue by calling one another names.

I don't tell other people to "get a life." But I will say that doing just that sure helped me become a much happier person than I was when I was a Fundamentalist Christian, obsessing on what Secular Humanists and Mormons and lesbians thought and said and did.