'Scientific Proof Of God'
Spoofs Recovery Movement?
Steve

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Steve"
Date: December 13, 2001 12:12 AM

Why I think this is a spoof is that it prominently features the Structural Model of personality, which is the foundational method for Rational Recovery, the alternative to Alcoholics Anonymous. The whole thing reads like that spoof by French physicist Alan Sokal that was published by Social Text several years ago.

Besides the fact that the author is strangely familiar with the more subtle controversies surrounding the addiction recovery movement (and I'll admit that one must have more than a cursory experience with such movements even to be aware of the alternatives -- much less how they work!), this piece is rather transparent even as a parody in that it seems to have been prompted by a recent theme (that has been repeated more than once) which humorously describes what it takes to write one of these cockamamie articles or books! Observe: Compare this work with the Crackpot Index, which was distributed by Skeptic publisher Michael Shermer about a year ago.

Now, you tell me this is not a parody! The "Proof of God" piece seems to have covered these items, numbered and in order, not even bothering to have mixed them up (I am exaggerating on that last point, but I don't need to: it's that transparent).

If it isn't a parody, then I'm more cynical than I thought, in that I never would have guessed that people could be that predictable!