If You Can't Prove It,
Why Believe It?
[unsigned]

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: WebMaster:_Positive_Atheism_Index
Date: January 02, 2002 8:19 AM

As Paine pointed out, your audience must place some amount of credibility and trustworthiness in the Bible or it is useless in proving anything. You tell me that the Bible says such and so? Well, all that proves is that the Bible says such and so! This is why we recommend that active atheists become familiar with some of the basics of the Bible.

Some of these guys are slick, subtle, and sophisticated. The more anti-Bible memes we can have floating around (readily available; easy to grasp; as familiar as an old Rolling Stones tune; as true as the Law of Gravity), the more likely that the weaker ones among us will be able to withstand the wiles of these preachers when times get tough and they come a-knocking, ready and willing to exploit any tragedy. We have seen plenty of that activity of late, haven't we?

Nevertheless, while it's fun to spar with someone as long as the context is a healthy one for both parties, I'm still testing the notion that going over the god-question is a monumental waste of time and energy, and that we have much more in common with the theist than we have differences.

However, you are right when it comes to fundamentalists who are obsessed with ramming this shit down our throats.