'What Are Your Credentials?'
A Desperate Plea
[unsigned]

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: FORUM_My_De-Conversion_Story
Date: November 27, 2001 11:53 PM

I don't know what you mean by "credentials": what does one need to have or do in order to attempt a successful work of social activism? What "credentials" does one need to try to change one's world, to try to make this world a better place for certain widely despised human classes? And what "credentials" does one need before she or he can succeed at effecting these changes? If I can figure out how to make this place better for the most widely despised innocent classes, I would devote my life to doing that -- if and only if that's what it took to better the lives of those who are like me, who endure (without justification) the same hardships that I endure.

I did all the work that you see on the web site, and have (now) produced 74 monthly issues of the print edition. I also pay the bills not only for the ISP (qwest) but the Web Host (Web-1Hosting) and the registration fees for the domains (positiveatheism.org, positiveatheism.net, positiveatheism.com). On top of that, all the software I use is registered and paid for (except that which was donated to us by the software manufacturer).

I was raised in an atheistic home which boasts, as ancestors, three signers of the Declaration and the Constitution, as well as several strains of Native American Half-Breeds. In addition, I spent three years attempting to succeed at being a Fundamentalist Christian -- but failed miserably at that, and have returned to the "faith of my fathers." I have also been jailed for refusing to undergo religious instruction. It was in this court hearing, in the State of Oregon in 1988, that I called myself "an atheist" for the first time.