Shame On You
For Disagreeing With Me!
Matt Freeman

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Matt Freeman"
Subject: Re: Ex-Christians
Date: November 04, 2001 1:26 AM

The term "born again" strikes fear in those non-Christians who have been there. The rest of us think it's kinda funny, actually. Unfortunately for American Evangelical Christians, the only Evangelicals we ever hear from are those who want to force the rest of us to conform to the very narrow, extremely bigoted brand of religion practiced by those who wish to force our children to watch them pray in the "street corners" of the classroom, to place slogans such as "In God We Trust" on the currency and coinage that we all spend (1950s), to add the quip "under God" into the Pledge of Allegiance that we all used to say but can't any more (again, 1950s), to post in every government-controlled area a Reader's Digest-type condensed version of the Protestant listing of the first stone tables edition of some Hebrew religious edicts (only the second set of stone tablets are called "the ten commandments" in the Bible -- see Exodus 34). These greedy Christians ought to strike fear in the hearts of even regular Christians, because if this doesn't happen, part of our role is to alert those Christians in an attempt to see that it does.

Your little attempt at spinning Evangelical Christianity into an innocuous, harmless, mainstream movement was cute, but we are not, at this time, going to waste our time responding. This is primarily because of the patent falsehood that permeates your letter, falsehood that we're frankly tired of addressing (it all having been addressed hundreds of time already in our Forum). Most notable among these falsehoods is your insistence that without having even met Ms. Lehman, you pretend to know what is going on in the privacy of her own mind. You even pretend to know what she did! Then you went so far as to literally rewrite what she said and comment on your revision rather than what she actually said!

Have a nice life because as far as anybody can tell, it's the only one we get.

For that reason, I choose to try to avoid slandering those people that I don't know, particularly those who do not share my ideology. I would never want to harm somebody over an idea, for gaud sakes! Rather, I will let them be and continue to trust that they know best how to live their lives. Only when they enter into my field of vision and commit some act such as telling a falsehood about myself or my colleagues (or attempt to make legislation conform only to their narrow religious beliefs) will I even raise a voice.