From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Bruce 'The Swimmer' Jenner"
Subject: Re: From a cynical atheist scout
Date: January 03, 2002 8:47 PM

That's basically what my Mom did: she became involved to make sure we weren't exploited for any number of reasons, and to make sure we all had the best she could offer. With or without religion, Mom knew she had a lot to give and made sure we had nothing but the best she had on whatever terms she and I could both live with. If it wasn't Scouting, it would have been something else -- and if I had known what I do today about the religious angle, it might not have been scouting! I might not have wanted it back then, 'cause I was averse to religion even back then, having already experienced bigotry in the second grade. I didn't know at the time, though.

True, you can't avoid religion, but that's not the size of it: I'm suffering tremendously because someone decided that they would give an atheist a hard time for being an atheist. It's already cost me thousands of dollars and has disrupted my life like little else has during the past ten years, and may cost me thousands more still. Nancy, for being involved in her move to end classroom recruitment has been through at least as much if not more (though different kinds of bigotry, to be sure). Thus, when a group like the Boy Scouts endorses religion over the lack of religion, they invite the kinds of behavior that Nancy and I have suffered: Nancy's in a retaliatory move, and mine simply for being an active atheist.