Is Humanity Building
A Stairway Going Nowhere?
Nicolas Michel

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "MICHEL"
Subject: Re: Positive_Atheism_Letters_Section
Date: January 09, 2002 9:20 AM

Since this statement is false.

Humanity is taking care of itself and its immediate and distant future, as well as those of other species and, in one sense, the entire planet. This can hardly be called "building a stairway going nowhere," the ultimate futility of the Big Bang notwithstanding.

Thus, I cannot respond to the rest of your question, it being based upon this false characterization of materialism.

Nevertheless, your premise falls upon itself anyway, as soon as you say that someone has to pay for something. How so, if all is to disappear in the manner you attempt to portray me as believing? The absense of permanence does not in any way obliterate value in the interim, and you show this in your talk about someone paying for something.

Besides, why should I believe a proposition, regardless of the evidence for or against it (or the lack thereof), simply because doing so makes me feel good? This is the flaw in thinking that existence is "cruel" (aside from presupposing the existence of a malevolent creator, such as the Bible god).

Dig this: To refute materialism, one need merely demonstrate that the material (particle) world of matter-energy is not the only one in existence. Show us some things which do not ultimately boil down to sub-atomic particles. Once you do that, you won't need to log on to atheist web sites and toss out trick questions such as the above. Upon your demonstration that more than just the material world of sub-atomic particles exists, there will be no more materialists of note, just a few cranks here and there. The rest of us will have followed truth wherever it may lead, as we almost always try to do. Just show us, like any scientist would.