Personal Annihilation Idea
Makes Atheism Tough
Christopher Dillard

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Christopher Dillard"
Date: December 12, 2001 1:20 PM

What enabled me to push myself away from Christianity was the lack of integrity of the Scripture. That is the only way we can know whether the Christian claim has any validity at all, and you cannot know anything from the Scriptures because they are so utterly flawed. You cannot even use them to determine whether or not a historical Jesus did, in fact, live. The other thing that really got to me was the concept of Christian Hell.

Well, take look at the conscious, aware "Self" (that "You" in there, whom you call "Me"):

What if we did a thorough investigation of all the different claims for all the different mechanisms ever posited as enabling an afterlife and they were all found wanting?

What then?

What if we could take the finality of death for granted to the same degree that we could take the existence of the Sun and the Moon?

What if this brain, as complex as it is, is complex for a reason: that's what it takes to pull off your consciousness through physical means!?

The Chess Master in the Machine

Could you imagine designing a sophisticated computer to play chess as well as the masters, and then taking it to the fair and offering to beat anybody who thinks she or he is a good chess player? What, then, if it were discovered that the box which contained the computer also contained a chess master of small stature (perhaps even a whiz kid)? that the chess master was in there making the moves on behalf of the computer, even though the computer was indeed sophisticated enough to take on any chess player in the world? That is what I think of when someone suggests to me that this complex brain, as complex as it is, needs to house a "soul" in order to operate the way it does.

But if the brain does not have a "soul" in it that can survive the destruction of the body, then what is it that survives our death? What!?

And if it is the truth that we do not survive our death, then what dignity is there in thinking that the truth is falsehood, in thinking that we do, in fact, survive our death?

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Christopher Dillard"
Date: December 14, 2001 2:18 PM

Ah, this is good!

One thing that it seems should not be omitted is the fact that the Christian afterlife is only one model. True, there are only a few variations on the concept of afterlife, and Christianity could represent the "personal resurrection" model. Nevertheless, we hardly ever hear about the pantheistic notions of afterlife, wherein our personal beings become absorbed into a larger whole -- whatever that means!

Or perhaps that's why we never hear about it?