From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
Subject: Re: Our Critics: Immutable!
Date: January 19, 2002 7:26 PM

I don't get your point: I use a word to draw attention to Remsberg's main argument, that the Christ of Christianity is mythical. The word I use to describe Remsberg's main argument is irrefutable. I do this as a deliberate poke and challenge to those who think that the Bible and the claims of Christianity are "irrefutable" as well as "infallible" and "immutable" and many other absolutistic, all-encompassing promises made in the name of this religion. I do this also as a satire on Remsberg himself, specifically his approach to his work in the form of this book. Perhaps his wife just had a baby and he must now find something to do that will keep him out of harm's way -- so he wrote this book!

Now you come along, take my poke in fun wa-a-ay too seriously, and talk about axioms and science and the like? What does any of this have to do with the claims for the Christ of Christianity?

I would hope that anybody who is familiar with scientific method at all (at all) would think real hard before taking the scientific pronouncements of a 100-year-old theology book seriously! You mean to tell me that you have a philosophy of science and still don't take with salt the scientific ponderings of writers such as Charles Darwin, Thomas Paine, John Locke, Isaac Newton, or even Leonardo Da Vinci's alleged pronouncement about the testicles of the beaver (me being from the Beaver State itself, Oregon). Even their greatest accomplishments are great only in light of what we know today. Does this not show that we ought not take seriously the scientific ponderings that we make today?

I guess what I'm asking is, how would you say that Remsberg's main argument (that the Christ of Christianity is mythical, not supernatural or even truthful) is most challenging, while hinting that his work is, at times, anything but serious, and yet say it in a way that would both intrigue as well as poke fun at, those most in need of checking it out (those who would use words like irrefutable to describe the claims of the Christian religion), if all you had was the space allotted for a single line on our front page? How would you say all that in, say, eleven letters (give or take)?