From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Mike Umbras"
Subject: Re: Thanks!!! Date: February 12, 2002 10:36 AM

Thank you!

As I begin, just this morning, to pull myself from the wreckage of a systematic series of personal setbacks, three notes like this in a row in my inbox sure help me to keep a focus on this particular project, a task that one of my closer friends saw for the first time last night, pointing out that keeping Positive Atheism together is "more than a full-time job"!

So today I sit down and deliberately begin the print edition that was due in the mail on January 1, hoping to have it done this weekend so that I may spend all next week (once again) packing and moving (the second time in as many months!). And as I look over to the sliding glass window and realize that even my youngest cat probably won't be going outside for a long time, if ever again, how can I keep from crying? Especially when it ain't even my fault.

The new managers, outspoken in their religious zeal, just couldn't handle renting to someone who is so active in his atheism that he'd actually help others learn how to resist the urge to return to religious faith! that he'd set up a web site, publish a magazine, and be successful at both. Most of all, that the man who does all these things, this atheist, is impeccably honest in his personal affairs to the point that many who watch his life feel ashamed. The crux of bigotry is this: He cannot show us up like that because it is we who hold the keys to these things, not he. Thinking such as this prompted someone who holds a respected position of authority to wage a campaign to deliberately sabotage my reputation as an honest man by accusing me of all manner of sneakiness and other forms of impropriety.

So again, I thank you for your encouraging words! With nobody here to hold on to, physically, except the black characters on this white screen, these letters and numbers that I call my friends (who, in fact are my friends), how else could I even carry on? But carry on I must, because I don't know anything else.

Transparent SpacerTransparent SpacerRule of Five DotsTransparent SpacerTransparent Spacer