No Rest Unto
The Wicked Atheist
Charlie Rood

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Charlie Rood"
Subject: Re: Good job
Date: April 12, 2002 8:42 PM

Thanks!

There's a lot more I'd like to do, and I wish I had a crew of ten to help me get all this work done! Being handicapped slows me down somewhat on top of the many setbacks that have hindered me of late. Not the least has been the debilitating illness which is just now beginning to subside after making things tough since late last year and keeping me flat for almost two months. And seeing my hard work "mirrored" all over the web instead of drawing attention to PAM and bringing search results here is indeed no great motivator to do more work.

Nevertheless, I have plenty of work scheduled -- well, not scheduled any more because I still don't know how fast I'll be able to work, but it is slated, nonetheless. And what a lot of catching up to do! If you consider all the Letters files already posted, that we have half again that many waiting to be formatted!

I won't be having any rest any time soon! Someone told me to "continue resting." What!? Spending pretty much all day every day teaching your muscles how to walk again and working to restore other functions to normalcy -- hey! -- fighting off a potentially deadly medical condition that you thought was already going to be fatal is no vacation! And if Merriam-Webster's synonym for the word atheism (wickedness) is of any consequence, then Isaiah 48:22 must also have a point to make with me:

"There is no rest, saith the Lord, unto the wicked"!

Okay, I confess! I confess! If atheism is wickedness, then I am that wicked, wicked man -- I am that wicked atheist!

Graphic Rule

Back home to Earth; back here to Friday!

Our main goal here is to reduce the stigma and bigotry leveled against atheists from all sides. The problems I described above came directly from bigotry having been aimed right at my atheistic activism! Being an antibigotry activist does not bring me any special immunity or even any wisdom or patience about it; in fact, I'm all the more prone to attack for my activism! But since there is really no precedent in dealing with bigotry against atheists, we've got new paths to cut.

Related but separate enough to warrant its own mention is our desire explore what kinds of ethics we can practice to bring atheism the credibility it needs for the full acceptance of atheists as atheists into the mainstream of American culture.

Finally, we wish to show atheists who have never tried it that it's both possible and desirable to explore one's heritage as an atheist.

All of these, I think, work together, and if you do one you will accomplish, to some degree, the others. If I'm right, then we've already cut some new paths in seeing these relationships and can work from there.

Thanks for your kind words and your interest! Both help me to keep focused, especially when these various setbacks want to tempt me to set this thing aside, for a moment, for a day, for good. I've battled all three lately and it's letters such as yours that keep me in line more than everything else put together.

Again, thanks!

Six-and-a-half years of service
    to people with no reason to believe