USA Today Poll:
'Give Pledge Back To All?'
Shirley

Please go to the web site and vote "NO " today!

USA Today is taking a vote on whether the words "Under God" should be removed from the pledge of allegiance. You can vote by going to the following web site:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2002/06/27/pledge-hold.htm

Thanks and please... keep passing this one along........................

Transparent Spacer
Quote Graphic Rule 600

I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation under God, indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

          Plese vote no !!!!

Quote Graphic Rule 600

Graphic Rule 1
Transparent Spacer 3
Graphic Rule 2 END 4Graphic Rule 2Graphic Rule 2 END 4
Transparent Spacer 2
Graphic Rule 3 END 8Graphic Rule 3Graphic Rule 3 END 8
Transparent Spacer 2

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Tom & Shirl"
Subject: Re: the pledge
Date: August 24, 2002 7:06 AM

Hell, I voted on one of these a few weeks ago, and our side showed with 25 percent, which is excellent in my book (considering this is America). I was nervous, though, that the results might be a bit skewed, simply because the wording was so bass-ackwards, so rife with double-negative, that a lot of undereducated folks, such as voted in Florida a few years ago, might think they're voting, "Yes, the words do not belong in there because this is everybody's country," when they had intended to vote, "No, the words need to stay and tell those damn atheists to get off of our country!"

It looks like even with the Christians' dishonest manipulation of the poll, our side is up from 25 percent to almost 30 since they did the same poll a few weeks ago.

Their dishonest manipulation of the polls reflects their dishonest manipulation of American history, which is all a reflection of their abject greed. These Christians are just plain greedy! That's all there is to it: They want this country all for themselves, they want the Pledge all to themselves. In the sickest twist of all, they even wanted the WTC terrorist attack all to themselves with their "Day of Prayer" ceremony to eulogize the victims -- the majority of whom were not Americans and thus probably not Christians! Now we're getting letters with pictures of what look like ghosts of the WTC!! Can you imagine!? I'll post one with this letter before I knock off.

Transparent Spacer
Quote Graphic Rule 600

I pledge Allegiance to the flag
of the United States of America
and to the Republic for which it stands,
one nation indivisible,
with Liberty and Justice for all.

Quote Graphic Rule 600
Transparent Spacer

However, what we need is not to manipulate the poll, what we need is to keep telling the truth not only about the Pledge but about American history, the terrorist attacks, and even our most mundane of personal daily affairs. It is only by telling the truth that we can possibly even survive this thing, much less prevail. We atheists do not have the luxury of committing falsehood like the Christians have. They can lie and lie and lie and it will not tarnish their credibility one whit. However, now that atheists, nontheists, Secularists, Humanists, Freethinkers, Infidels, and the like have been coming out and writing to the papers and to the political leaders and such, we have jumped from nine percent to over 14 percent in just ten years. We are the fastest growing religious group in America -- and America is one of the most religious countries in the world. That speaks volumes!

One of our Senior Advisors, a student in The Netherlands, reports that University students declared their individual religious preferences, and guess which group was on top? Atheists! Not only are there more atheists attending University in The Netherlands than any other religious group, there are more atheists attending University in The Netherlands than all other religious groups combined! That's right, a whoppin' 64 percent of Dutch University students wrote or checked the word "atheist" when asked their religious preference!

Why is this happening? There are many factors contributing to this, but I'll tell you that truth is just too important to take lightly, particularly when we are the most widely and viciously despised social classes in the United States. Maybe a quarter of a percent of Americans are Muslim. So when the WTC attacks came, two groups were taking the heat: the "nut cases" were going after the Muslims, and people such as President Bush, Officer Pasha, Commentator William F. Buckley, and numerous other prestigious and widely respected voices who knew better than to even touch Islam instead insisted that the culprits were atheists, that they "couldn't have believed in God" because "nobody who believes in God is capable of such atrocity"!

You know what? People -- especially our younger people -- are not stupid! Older folks have had time to realize that sometimes you can lose your family and career if you speak the truth too loudly when the truth is not welcome in your parts. But younger folks often have yet to learn this sad truth. As a result, oftentimes enough younger folks will see and speak a truth and it will overwhelm the complacent lie to the point where it stops being dangerous to tell at least this one truth. Over 45 years I have watched the lies fall by the wayside, one by one, and the world I live in now is nothing like the world I grew up in. No longer do you hear, "Those Negroes, as long as they just stay in their place!" This sentence was quite commonly heard in 1963, but by 1970, we weren't hearing it on the West Coast any more, and I'm assuming that the South was a similar situation. (Is it still the same? as bad?) Or can you imagine an elevator with an ashtray in it? I can remember a Benson and Hedges commercial on TV, touting how long their cigarette was that some clown got his caught in a closing elevator door! What!? Yes, people once smoked on elevators! Elevators!! I have watched lie after lie come crashing down upon those who make their fortunes spreading them.

Now the latest lie that has been choked to death by the firm grip of the avenging hands of truth is the one about the Pledge of Allegiance. Numerous Christians have written to me or spoken to me and insisted that the Pledge of Allegiance has always contained the words "under God"! Ahh-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! Guess what, folks? You can no longer get away with telling that canard to your children, your own flesh and blood! You can continue to fool yourselves if you want, but your children were paying attention and they know, now, that this is out in the open! Regardless of what happens to Newdow v. United States Congress, the truth is out! the truth is irrevocably out! Hold me down and ram it right up my ass (if you can), but that won't make it go away! that won't make it go back into the darkness of hiding where you've kept it all these years, telling your own children lie after lie after lie!!

And you know what else? Now that you've been caught on this one, your kids will now have a much tougher time believing what you say -- even if the next thing you tell them is something that might save their lives! That's the payback for your lies! The parents of my generation were caught lying about the so-called dangers of marijuana, and many of the kids my age assumed that what they'd said about the harder drugs, LSD, Speed, Heroin, and alcohol were lies as well. Our younger cousins, five to fifteen years our junior, got it even worse with the lie that cocaine, being a prescription drug, was safe. Hah! (I shouldn't laugh! A whole slew of these kids rode The Gone Dead Train!)

Why is Home Schooling so utterly popular among Fundamentalist Christian history revisionists? It might have something to do with the fact that each generation of kids has had its own system for routing out the lies that their parents have told them, but the only way it works is when the kids can get alone, away from the parents for long enough to develop the bonds of trust needed for this conduit of information to take effect on the larger group. And, most importantly, this system works only if enough of the adults do tell the truth to children. If they don't get it from parents and other older adults, they'll get it through drama, poetry, and song like we did in the early and mid-1960s, and like so many other generations have done both before and since.

Seven years of service to people
    with no reason to believe