From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "J C"
Subject: Re: hmmm
Date: November 09, 2003 11:07 PM

Easy: an atheist is anybody who does not have a god-belief. In other words, an atheist is anybody who is not a theist.

I was an atheist the day I was born (and so were you). The difference is, I was fortunate not to have been raised by parents who indoctrinated me with Tales of Mystique and Magick before I was old enough to scrutinize and assess the claims that I was hearing. Instead, they taught me how to use my senses and my mind to make my own observations and to come to my own conclusions about what I was observing. Especially, they were very careful to teach me to reject any claims that didn't wash -- particularly those tales spun by opportunists, money-grubbers, political pundits, and other similar control-freaks.

None of the god-claims that I've heard (or encountered) have either made sense to me or held up under scrutiny. If you have any new god-claims (ones that I've not heard in my 47 years of listening to these commercial pitches) or any NEW arguments for their truthfulness (again, that I have not encountered in almost 47 years of searching for one), lay it on me. I want to hear it. Maybe there is a claim that is truthful and that makes its case convincingly. Thus far, though, I haven't heard one, and so I remain an atheist.

This is a good thing, too, because many of the people who write to me claiming that this or that god exists (or who, like yourself, poke fun at me for not going along with these fabulous tales) are not the kinds of people I'd like to spend my time with. I certainly wouldn't want to be like one of them! I hold my fellow humans in great dignity, and I would never want to treat my fellow humans like so many theists (particularly Evangelical Christians) have treated me.

And I don't have to: your (theism's) god-claims just haven't held up! I do not need to sacrifice my commitment to truthfulness in order to attain the convenience of avoiding (or being mistaken for) the more arrogant Evangelical Christians (and other nose-in-the-air religionists) who go to and fro upon the face of the Earth and walk up and down in it.

Of course, the mind-your-own-business theists who practice their religion in peace and peacefulness have always had my full respect.

Eight years of service to people
    with no reason to believe

Graphic Rule