From: "Positive Atheism Magazine" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To:[name removed]
Subject: Please explain: What do you find so attractive about this behavior?
Date: April 24, 2004 10:23

Could you explain to our readers what it is about bigotry that you find so thrilling? We've never understood the attraction behind sending unsolicited e-mail to people you don't know and hurling abuses at them just because they won't do what you tell them to do.

Are you having fun? Is there a sexual thing going on? a drug rush? What!?

Please explain this to our readership.

Thank you!

Eight-and-two-thirds years of service
      to people with no reason to believe

Clear Spacer, height=eight
Graphic Rule, no VSpace
[this part was added on April 25, 2004]
Clear Spacer, height=eight

Graphic Rule

From: "Positive Atheism" <editor@positiveatheism.org>
To: "Jeffrey White"
Date: April 24, 2004 17:51

If this is what happened, then we're sorry this is how it came out.

Feel free to block our domain if these people haven't managed to learn even the very basics of what it means to be human.

This works both ways:

If there were a "God" then I might have at least my little brother still with me to talk to as I face barely endurable pain that paints such a fearful expression on my face that all the regular friends have found other things to do. What I'm saying is that if there were a "God," then perhaps we would know nothing of childhood diseases and other diseases that strike a man down in his prime.

If there were a "God" then at least the diseases might be spread out more equitably among families: rather than both the males in our family being struck down, maybe one of the many families I grew up with whose four kids are all strong and healthy to this day might have rather seen themselves take some of the flack (especially since they're all religious families; and it's not genetic thing: we were both adopted in the 1950s).

And if there were a "God" then at least the diseases might have been spread out more equitably amongst individuals in the sense that my brother's one disease should not have been so excruciatingly fatal and my multitude might have been reduced to one or two, allowing me to at least function during mid-life rather than quiver in this little house that it looks like I'll lose, now, because I cannot take care of it myself and nobody I've contacted wants to earn any money helping me do simple things like mow a ten-by-fifteen foot patch of lawn or or bring my shelving upstairs from the basement (where the movers left it seven months ago) so I can use my kitchen for something other than a storage area. (Gaud for bid that anybody would lend a hand for free, but I've never asked that: I want to pay my way.) You know, simple things like that which add up when it's all you can do to stand up much of the time.

So the landlord stopped by last week, and he was fuming so wildly over the clutter that my cat jumped up onto the refrigerator and started barking at him from about six inches above his head: "Raaah! Raaaaaah! Raaaah!" It would have been the funniest thing I'd seen in several weeks were it not my tail that's on the line -- just because of injuries and medical problems that are wholly natural. Maybe if I survive this one with almost all my flesh still intact, I'll be able to laugh at it down the road.

Graphic Rule

Here's the bottom line with me: What happened to my family is exactly what you'd expect if there were no such thing as a benevolent deity, if life and everything else had arisen through entirely natural means, using no foresight whatsoever, over a long period of time I'm glad for you that you have been able to live a materially successful life, but like I said, this angle works both ways. Nevertheless, I do not lack a god-belief because of these things, I lack a god-belief simply because the claims I've heard do not make sense or hold water (although the kinds of people I'd have to endure were I an active member of just about any religion do not help to make the religious life any more attractive -- see previous letter). In any event, have a nice life, okay?