Don’t You Have
Anything
Better to Do???

Janne Marie

From: “Janne Marie”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Sent: June 08, 2004
Subject: IN GOD WE TRUST On Our Money

Get a life!! Don’t you have anything better to do???

If people would stop complaining in this country it would be a much better place. Everyone has to have an issue these days. Why dont you spend your time in a more productive way and give back to your country instead of taking away from it!

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “Janne Marie”
Subject: Re: IN GOD WE TRUST On Our Money
Date: June 10, 2004

What? You got an issue with complainers for something?

Don’t you have anything better to do than to jump up and down, fume and spout, pound your chest, hiss and spit, and tell me what to do?

Isn’t your American citizenship more dignified than the behavior you just now displayed?

Why don’t you join us in our effort to make this country obey her own laws? Why don’t you join us in our effort to make this every American’s country!?

Why do so many of you Evangelical Christians behave as if you want this country all for yourselves?

Eight-and-two-thirds years of service
      to people with no reason to believe

From: “Janne Marie”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: June 10, 2004

Well, if that is how you feel you must have pent up anger as I simply stated my right to free speech. Too many people in this country have to complain about something instead of doing constructive things to make this country a better place. Everyone here should thank “God” of how lucky we all are to be blessed with living here and having our freedom.

God doesn’t have to be a certain person, thing, etc. It is just a state of knowing there is something greater than all of us that has created this universe and there can be things that we don’t all understand. We can all have our own believes and just call it God.

I just feel it would be a better place if everyone worried about constructive things like feeding the hungry, freeing other countries, carrying for our neighbors, stopping crime, etc. Spending time defacing our American money doesn’t help anyone.

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “Janne Marie”
Date: June 13, 2004

Well, okay, then, at least one of us has a right to “free” speech!

Ah, but in so doing, you’ve managed to thwart my Liberty of Speech by attempting to intimidate me, browbeat me, or otherwise shame me into silence!

Free?

I am “free” to speak only so long as I can feel safe in doing so. In other words, if I feel that speaking might bring me harm (from a Christian extremist, for example), then I am not “free” to speak.

How convenient for you to charge me with “pent-up anger” rather than responding to my reasonable and very realistic questions?

Only if my anger were “pent-up” (“hidden”) would it be a “safe bet” to accusing me of being angry! I certainly haven’t displayed any anger, here, but since you need to evade my questions, my “anger,” then, must be hidden (pent-up). And since only I can know what I am or am not thinking, I could never properly dispute what you claim I am thinking. Similarly, you needn’t demonstrate the truthfulness of your charges regarding my emotional state!

But you are the one who wrote a stern letter to me! All I did was write back and mock you (more as comic relief for the readers than for any other reason)! So which of us is angry!?

Again: why don’t you do something constructive?

See what you can do about trying to make this country obey her own laws (such as the very First Amendment to the Bill of Rights of her Constitution)?

One more time, why don’t you do something constructive?

Let’s work together toward making this every American’s country, instead of just being a country that belongs only to those citizens who can stomach being Evangelical Christians?

And why are so many of the Evangelical Christians who write to us so utterly greedy in this respect? Wasn’t it enough for y’all that Senator Joseph McCarthy terrified an entire generation with his campaign of hatred against atheists? (Hey, are we still hiding under your bed? Are we still lurking in the bathroom at work with a stack of pamphlets? Are we perhaps kneeling in prayer in the next pew over, pretending to be religious so that no one will be the wiser?)

Weren’t the “gains” of McCarthyism enough for you? Couldn’t you be happy with “under God” in everybody’s Pledge of Allegiance and “In God We Trust” on everybody’s legal tender? Apparently they weren’t enough, so many of your religion’s hungry hoards have just got to have more! more!!

In your case, you exhibited this evangelical compulsiveness by logging on to a web site for atheists and making a big scene. Rather than behaving like the guest that you are, you instead decided to jump up and down, hiss and spit, pound your chest, and let out a roar! Then you picked up a bone and hurled it at The Big Black Thing on yonder hilltop — The Big Black Thing That You Don’t Understand! You’ve pushed us out of the way for so long, but now you don’t like the fact that we’re tired of being left out of what being an American has to offer! We especially don’t like the fact that they did this illegally and they still refuse to do anything to bring about justice! You and your kind did this to us. We then draw attention to your dirty deeds. This really yanks your chain, so you complain about our reaction to your untoward behavior. We cannot win against opponents of your ilk.

Had the Jesus character actually existed, I would quote him in saying,

Take the beam out of thine own eye!

Eight-and-one-half years of service to
          people with no reason to believe