‘You Won’t Be a Fool Anymore’

Don’t Say You Weren’t Warned!

John

From: “John”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Sent: April 08, 2004
Subject: Positive Atheism, Cliff’s Writings

Why don’t you prove to yourself that God is real? Do as it says to do in the Word of God and sincerely ask Jesus to come into your heart and to be your saviour. He never turns anyone away! He will reveal Himself to you and then you won’t be a fool anymore. You will be who you were created to be, a son of God! I did it, and now I know Him personally. He is more real than anything you can experience with your five physical senses.

Jesus, I don’t know this person, but you do. Give him a heart to receive your goodness today Lord. Open the eyes of his understanding and show him your salvation. In Jesus’ name, so be it!

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “John”
Date: April 08, 2004

Why do you want me to behave in a patently dishonest manner?

You are asking me to prejudice the investigation of a controversial claim made by numerous people and groups? This is precisely what you are asking me to do! You’re asking me to start out trying to prove that said claim is true; however, the way of honest investigation, the method conforming to a genuine quest for truth is simply to study the evidence available and then to follow truth wherever she may lead — like it or not. (And believe me, much of the time I’d certainly prefer living in a world “run” by a just and loving God than the one in which we happen to live!)

Why are so many of the Christians who write to this Forum to sell us their religious dogma so utterly immoral in this respect? And what is it about us that they so sorely want atheist to emulate this dirty deed of theirs, insisting that we go along with their claims?

Besides, where in the Bible does it instruct people to, as you say, “sincerely ask Jesus to come into your heart and to be your saviour”? I’ve been trying to find that passage for decades and have come up blank every time! It’s easier to defend the Watchtower Society’s claim that the Christian deity forbids blood transfusions than to justify this language ubiquitous among American Evangelical Christians!

Open the eyes of his understanding

And even though you don’t know me (you have never even met me), you have the audacity to suggest — to my face, as it were — that you are somehow superior to me in that you pretend that I need to become like you are!

Me!? behave like a liar and a bigot (just like you)?

Never!!

Jesus, I don’t know this person, but you do.

This “Jesus,” if he existed at all (which is highly doubtful), died around 2,000 years ago. Either way, I don’t think he can hear you.

Eight-and-one-half years of service to
        people with no reason to believe

From: “John”
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: April 09, 2004

You have your reward. And by the way, Jesus is very much alive. I told you the truth. God will not violate your will. You can deny Him if you want to. He won’t stop you. You are the source of your eternity. But the only two destinations were determined before man was created. So you can’t change that. It’s either with God in heaven or without Him in Hell. Your choice. Don’t say that you were not warned!

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: “John”
Date: April 09, 2004

Once again, dear readers, we have the almost ubiquitous response to being cornered by one’s own unsolicited claim for the existence of the Evangelical Christian’s deity. Mr McBrayer, after having approached us with a pitch for the Christian religion, discovered that he couldn’t resolve the implications of our challenging response to his god-claim. (Well, he could have simply became afraid to think about said implications: we really can’t tell.) When this happened, however, he behaved in the only manner that really remains for someone who refuses to go the honest route: he dodged the question altogether!

Mr McBrayer chose the ultimate admission-of-defeat in-denial: he threatened the man who responded to his challenge with physical violence, claiming that if we don’t go along with what he tells us, we will be tortured forever and ever (or something really horrible) in the Christian Hell.