Who Speaks with Authority on
Issues of Law, Order, Civility, Etc?

Jeremiah

From: Mr Jeremiah Enna
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: November 27, 2006
Subject: Inquiry

Dear PAM,

I just found your web site and thought it was interesting. I am a Christian person. It’s a long story, but I came to that conclusion years ago.

I have a sincere question. How do you consider the issue of authority and law? In other words, how do you come to the conclusion of who speaks with authority on issues of law, order, civility, etc.?

Respectfully,

Jeremiah

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: Mr Jeremiah Enna
Date: November 27, 2006

I don’t understand what you’re trying to get at.

Cliff Walker
www.positiveatheism.org

From: Mr Jeremiah Enna
To: “Positive Atheism”
Date: November 29, 2006

Well, for a Christian person, the Bible is authoratative when it comes to truth, seeking the truth, and establishing truth. Although we are imperfect, our only hope for coming close to truth is by approaching the Bible in relationship with the Lord in order to establish truths, laws, and in the few instances, absolute truths.

How does the atheist find confidence in their approach to discovering truth, especially those that establish civic law, morals, etc., absolutes (if you believe there are any)?

Is that clearer?

Jeremiah Enna

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: Mr Jeremiah Enna
Date: December 1, 2006

If you are “imperfect,” as Christians say, that is, having a flawed sense of judgement, then how can you determine that the Bible is what you tell me it is? How can you really know? You certainly don’t give us any reasons to trust the Bible as authoritative on any matter or question. At least scientists use consensus and predictability to test various claims and conclusions. The Bible doesn’t do that. The Bible doesn’t even claim to do that!

-cw