From: “David [suppressed]”
To: Positive Atheism
Subject: Your Portrayal of Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Date: Monday, December 13, 1999

First, I’d like to say I disagree with your religious stance, I think your wrong, and that your in a philosophically untenable position.... (agnostic would be more appropriate)

Also I don’t like you Ayn Rand backgrounds (wow, but that woman was consitutionally incapable of writing passable prose) (Seriously ...Atlas Shrugged, why even the pretention at fiction?)

But I feel such arguments are pretty futile ....I do think however that you should toss up a disclaimer on your quotes site regarding some of your authors. Reading the quotes of Dostoyevsky you have one gets the impression that he is an atheist, when in fact the Brothers Karamazov (from which your quotes were taken) was intented to serve “as an answer to atheism” (dostoyevsky’s quote) I think it is immoral/illogical to post the quotes, attribute them to Dostoyevsky, when they are the exact points the man spent most of his life disagreeing with.

Brothers K is contains in my opinion the greatest criticisms of Chrisitanity, as well as presenting its strongest defenses.

Anyway, just my thoughhts on the matter, appreciate a response ideally you might even come up with a rational one, unlike many atheists/anarchists I have spoken to in the past

In Christ, (Sorry couldn’t resist the opportunity to ruffle a few feathers)
David [suppressed]

From: “Positive Atheism”
To: [suppressed]
Date: Monday, December 13, 1999

We’re sorry you couldn’t make your case more clearly about why you disagree with our religious stance (considering that we have no religious stance at all). You merely state that you disagree, and that’s that. Nothing about what we said that you disagree with, or why you disagree with it.

I also don’t remember the magazine ever having made any statements about either Ayn Rand or Fyodor Dostoyevsky, so I did a text search of the Positive Atheism website.

I was right: Our magazine has made no editorial statements about either figure.

We may thus place your letter into our proposed “head-firmly-lodged-in-dank-orifice” section, which is reserved for people who write solely for the purpose of making noise, that is, wasting time and other precious resources.

Cliff Walker
“Positive Atheism” Magazine